Friday, March 5, 2010

War Puppy

My husband Dave and I have recently found out that Dave has been deployed for one year to Afghanistan. He will be leaving in August 2010 for three months of training, and then jumps the big blue for the remaining nine.

While I'm super worried about all that he and his comrades will be going through, my mom got this great idea to help keep my mind from whirling. Now, my mother is a very wise woman, and when she makes a suggestion, I've learned through time that she is usually right on the money. So, without further adue. Blogosphere, meet Camouflage the puppy (Camo for short).

Camo is the cutest little Shih Tzu puppy in the world. He's eleven weeks old and weighs about 4 pounds. I got him for free from a lady that goes to my parent's church, Pam. She was so awesome about this whole thing and I'm so glad she's a friendly neighbor.

So far, Camo is doing very well in the potty training business. I started out taking him outside every twenty minutes or so, but he's up to about two hours spaces between breaks. Yes, he still piddles every once in a while, but he's getting much better.

Now for the business with the kennel...Pam suggested that he not sleep with me until he's 100% good to go on the potty training front. The first time he went in the kennel with the door shut behind him, he FREAKED OUT! Let's just say I slept with one arm off the bed so that I could pet him through the holes in the kennel. Those first couple nights were rough. Dave insists that he won't have a dog in bed with us, which is fine, but while he's gone I'll need someone to cuddle with.

While we still live in a no-pets apartment until May, mom was willing--much to the chigrin of dad, bless his heart--to keep Camo at their house until we can move somewhere else. During this week though, I've had him with me...don't tell the landlords...and got the roughest of the potty training days out of the way.

I think that this little guy will help take my mind off things quite effectively. Though I will never stop worrying until David is in my sights again, I will hopefully be able to keep busy long enough to make the time go by. He's my buddy. He's my comrade.

Thanks Mom, for all your advice, and for keeping Camo until I graduate!

No comments:

Post a Comment